April 02, 2005

John Paul II

The Pope is dying.

Peter Jennings was trying very hard not to lose his composure on BBC News 24 America. His voice broke a few times.

I'm fighting against tears myself, the pictures from St Peter's Square are very moving. A quiet dignified vigil.

I wrote last month, when the Pope went into hospital, that I hoped he would die soon, partly because he was oviously in pain and blatantly on his last legs, but mainly in the hope that his successor would be less hardline on things such as contraception, abortion, AIDS etc. This was not in disrespect to JP II. Objectively, this century needs a new Pope with perhaps a wider world view. JP II has been an excellent Pope and a strong man, the right person to hold the papacy these past 30 years. To the Catholics, he was a father.

I mourn not because the Pope is dying, but because a good and old man is saying his final prayers. There is a place set for him in the afterlife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home